- Admission and Administration Requirements
- Academic Admission Requirements:
- High school diploma or high school equivalency (Transcript and/or diploma to be forwarded to the College); or
- Mature students who do not meet the education prerequisites may be considered for admission on an individual basis provided the following conditions are met:
- Applicants are at least 19 years of age at the time of application;
- Applicants have been out of school for at least one year;
- Applicants complete the standardized assessment instrument and obtain the result of high school equivalence on all subtests;
- Applicants present a certified copy of grades for the highest educational level attained.
- Completion of Keyin College’s official application form;
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable). It must be noted that this is an additional cost for the processing of your application.
- International applications are subject to a $250 application processing fee (non-refundable)
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Current medical report signed by a qualified medical doctor
Surface mining is not unlike underground mining in essential safety procedures and common knowledge bases. The definition of a surface (open pit) mine is “an excavation or cut made at the surface of the ground for the purpose of extracting ore and which is open to the surface for the duration of the mine’s life.”
Therefore, training for Surface Miners contains many modules that reflect the nature of surface construction projects. Emphasis is placed on safety, vehicular and equipment usage, conveyors, crushers, screens, and open pit drilling and blasting processes.
*Prior to commencement of studies, all students will complete the safety training programs.
- Surface Miner Courses View
- Work Safely in the Job Environment
- Lock Out & Tag Equipment & Energy
- Operate Hand & Power Tools
- Service Vehicles
- Conveyors, Crushers & Screens
- Auxiliary Equipment
- Drilling & Blasting (Mandatory)
- Transportation Controls & Communication Systems
- Emergency & Evacuation Plans & Procedures
- Introduction to Computers & Job Skills
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Standard First Aid
- Powerline Hazards
- Fall Arrest