The Funeral Services Program provides the hands-on training and theoretical understanding funeral directors require when assisting bereaved families in making funeral arrangements; and protecting the public’s health by properly caring for the deceased. As well, it is a unique blend of general educational and technical courses in the areas of biological and social sciences and restorative art.
The Batesville Casket Company, in support of Keyin’s Funeral Services Program, is pleased to award a $750 bursary to one student from each graduating class of this program. For more information and selection criteria for this bursary please contact the campus Career Counselor. The Batesville Casket Company is the leading manufacturer of metal and hardwood burial caskets. They are also a leading provider of cremation urns, caskets and related support services. For more information on the Batesville Casket Company visit their website at www.batesville.com.
Upon completion of the Funeral Services Program, students will be eligible to begin service training for a Funeral Director’s License and an Embalmer’s License at a licensed funeral home. Most graduates choose to work as funeral directors and embalmers, but employment options are many. Graduates are qualified to work as pathologist’s assistants, morgue attendants, funeral planners and funeral service educators. They are also hired by hospital and university laboratories; crematoria; answering services for funeral homes; and businesses specializing in cemetery management, funeral stationery, removal services, and the manufacturing of embalming chemicals, caskets and monuments.
- Admission and Administration Requirements
- Academic Admission Requirements:
- High school diploma or high school equivalency (Transcript and/or diploma to be forwarded to the College); or
- Mature students who do not meet the education prerequisites may be considered for admission on an individual basis provided the following conditions are met:
- Applicants are at least 19 years of age at the time of application;
- Applicants have been out of school for at least one year;
- Applicants complete the standardized assessment instrument and obtain the result of high school equivalence on all subtests;
- Applicants present a certified copy of grades for the highest educational level attained.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Completion of Keyin College’s official application form;
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable). It must be noted that this is an additional cost for the processing of your application.
- International applications are subject to a $250 application processing fee (non-refundable)
- A letter of Conduct has to be completed prior to entering the program;
- A 200 word essay on why you chose this program as your career path;
- Two reference letters need to be provided to the college giving reference to either the applicant’s personal, work, and/or educational background;
- Personal interview with the college and Funeral Director;
- Valid Driver’s License.
- You must obtain at least two of the three series Hepatitis B vaccines, and test negative on the 2 step (TB) Skin Test before beginning your laboratory experience. In addition, the tetanus shot must be up-to-date;
- Keyin College reserves the right to deny admission to this program based on an unpardoned criminal record which would be relevant to the academic or placement requirements of the program;
- Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program.
- Funeral Services Courses View
- Business Communications
- Computer Fundamentals
- Business Math
- Fundamentals of Accounting I
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Anatomy and Physiology II
- Medical Terminology I
- Medical Terminology II
- Computerized Accounting
- Document Production I
- Spreadsheet Applications
- Presentation Applications
- Employment Plus
- Funeral Director
- Embalming I
- Embalming II
- Embalming Lab
- Restorative Art I
- Restorative Art II
- Psychology of Death I
- Psychology of Death II
- Funeral Service Law and Ethics
- Pathology I
- Pathology II
- Funeral Directing and Embalming II Lab
- Funeral Service Practices
- Mortuary Administration & Funeral Management
- Mortuary Merchandising & Marketing
- Human Relations
- Work Term